Thinking Outside the Box with Tech Tools



This post is week 4 of 8 in the #8WeeksofSummer Blog Challenge for educators.  As we settled in to virtual learning for over a year in my district, my technology integration expertise definitely grew.  I felt like I was in a constant period of growth and learning.  Which tools did I discover this year and which familiar tools did I branch out and try in new ways?  Today's topic is a fun one, but also a little overwhelming to answer.  I feel like, where do I begin?  I'm sure you probably feel this way as well.  The 2020-2021 school year was the year of "all the technology tools."

The Familiar



I think the most frequent tools I used were the Google Workspace platform.  Getting Google Trainer certified was the best decision I made in the summer of 2020.  It truly propelled me to be equipped to train my staff and students on technology integration.  I was able to start visualizing any task and connect which Google tool would be the right fit for the job.  I also was able to start moving beyond substitution in the SAMR model and think of how we can take technology integration to a higher level of learning.   



While I used all the Google tools, I used Slides, Jamboard and Docs most often.  My technology usage of these tools began to expand and change the more I used them.  Google Slides moved from being a static presentation tool to being an interactive space for collaboration.  I started off the year sharing my library orientation in slides and using Google meet to chat throughout the presentation.  By the end of the year, I was using Slides in our STAAR test preparation academy with 60+ students to work collaboratively and simultaneously in one file to review concepts.  Want to see what that looks like?  Here is the Google Slides template for Iron Chef Dictionary Skills.

I started to see Slides in a new way also by utilizing the space around the canvas on each slide to provide scaffolding and support directions to students.  


I started using the grid view to watch all my students work at the same time and provide live feedback.  You can find grid view at the bottom right hand corner. You can toggle between single slide view and multi slide view with these buttons.


I also started incorporating EduProtocols in my activities to increase engagement thanks to some inspiration from Google Innovator and my friend Stephanie Howell introducing it to me.  



Jamboard is part of the Google suite of tools that feels like an old friend.  It's so easy to use and adaptable to so many contexts.  I started small with Jamboard after a teacher asked me how to use it and could I model it with students.  I used it for my first meeting of the year with students as part of library orientation.  We made it fun and on each page of the "jam" students tried out a different feature.  Here's how it all went down in case you're new to Jamboard and wanting to try it for the first time with students.  A great strategy is to teach a new tool using a comfortable familiar topic so students can focus on how to use the tool, because they already know the content.

Google Jamboard Library orientation icebreaker

1.  On the first slide use the text tool to add your name anywhere on the "jam".

2.  On the second slide select sticky note and share 2 things about yourself.

3.  On the third slide use the image tool to add a photo of your favorite movie.  

It was a super simple way to learn how to use Google Jamboard and get to know students.  My use of the tool evolved quickly once students and staff were comfortable using the tool.  We started using it for collaboration work, brainstorming, and responding to a topic in class and during staff development.



Google Docs is one tool most everyone takes to really naturally.  If you were used to Word... Google Docs is an easy transition.  I started off using Google Docs for planning and the usual word processing.  My use of this tool evolved when I started using it for monthly notes.  Before the pandemic, I used to take daily notes in a spiral notebook.  I know what you're thinking... really you would write everything down on paper?  The short answer is yes.  Something about physically writing it out helps me remember and stay organized.  This year changed all that.  I started maintaining my notes in Google Docs by month.  This made it so easy to use search and find things later on by using Google Drive and also the find feature right inside Docs.  I also started using more advanced features like the built in table of contents that you can create in Docs.  I added important links to my notes.  All these little bits added up to me really understanding the value of note taking digitally.  I even went on to buy the app GoodNotes and start digital planning in 2020!



The New Additions

When it comes to trying new tools, I like to push myself outside of my comfort zone.  I am usually up for a trying new tools and I hear about so many from the Google Trainers and Innovators on Global GEG YouTube channel.  If you haven't followed their channel, I highly recommend you check them out.  They have great tutorials and walkthroughs on amazing technology tools with real world examples of class application.



Screencastify is my life line!  I think I used this at least twice a week to screen record for lessons and training sessions.  It is super user friendly and syncs to Google Drive and YouTube.  This tool is free up to five minutes.  Or you can pay for a premium plan at a very reasonable price for unlimited recording.  You can check out my video tutorial here.



WeVideo is a newer tool that I absolutely love.  It makes taking your recordings and editing them a breeze.  You can use built in audio clips, add text, add transitions and so much more.  I would say I am at the intermediate level with this tool and I feel like there is still so many features I want to try out.  This tool is also limited free, but worth the paid version in my opinion.  Check out my video tutorial here.



Canva is like a wildcard.  I have been using Canva for years.  Let me repeat that...for years.  But I was only using it at a surface level to create graphics for social media.  This year I attended an amazing training that really opened my eyes to the potential of Canva for class lessons.  I had no idea you could use Canva simultaneously the way you do in Slides?  It is super easy too!  You send an invite link and students can join your Canva workspace and work right along side each other.  Also, Canva added amazing templates from brainstorming to presentations... everything is built right in!  And... you can every record yourself right inside Canva to provide support for asynchronous learners.  I will create a dedicated post all about how I use Canva to engage and support my learners in a future post.  You can check out my video tutorial I have done with students and staff on tips for getting the most out of Canva.

What tools did you use the most this school year?  Are there any tools you have on your list to try next year?  

For me, I'm looking in to Genail.ly (I just created my first presentation), Wizer.me, whiteboard.fi, Sutori, and Flippity.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making Connections and Finding My Why

Clarity and Engagement Key to Successful Communication

Building Engagement During the Pandemic