Power PD- Recharge With 5 Ideas in 5 Minutes Issue 1

I'm so excited to finally be sharing my 2021-2022 Power PD newsletter.  I was inspired by many other educators who have been doing #PottyPD or #CopierPD and I wanted to try this out but put my own spin on the name.  Each issue with have a short message from me and 5 ideas teachers can use to "recharge" their teaching.  Ready to check it out?  Here we go!

Welcome back to the 2021-2022 school year!  Thank you for taking the time to check out my Power PD newsletter and this blog.  The purpose of this blog is to share my educational journey with you!  On here you will find additional information about the items in the Power PD flyer you saw.  

I will be posting all Power PD newsletters in one Google Slides deck.  You can see it below.  Please check back often for the latest newsletters.


1.  Classroom Screen- this is an awesome tool you can use to help you manage your classroom.  Check out Pocketful of Primary's video tutorial below to get an overview of how to use the tool.

2.  Canva-  Have you seen all the updates on Canva for educators?

Try searching "group work" and you will get results like these:



You can also try the keyword "online whiteboard"


I have even searched "meet the teacher", "class banner", "class announcement" and so many more!  

What are you waiting for...go explore Canva!

3.  Smmry-  Smmry takes any copied text and summarizes it for you.  I took the text from an article I found on EduTopia "How A Simple Presentation Framework Helps Students Learn."  This is an awesome tool to use in a variety of ways.  You can use it to help struggling readers summarize a long text to help ensure they understood it.  You could also use this tool to show students sample summaries to help them in their writing process.  All students can benefit from Smmry especially when the focus isn't reading, another content area- for example science or history.  Struggling to read can be a barrier for students who would like to learn the content but are getting stuck decoding a long text. 

In what ways do you think you could use Smmry?



4.  Grow Your PLN-  If you haven't tried social media for your professional learning network you are missing out.  It took me awhile to jump on the Twitter bandwagon.  I joined long ago, but it was just so fast paced for me I didn't think it was for me.  However, I have given Twitter another chance and I think you should to.  Twitter is filled with amazing educators and authors sharing their expertise online.  Have you ever had a question and you wished you had a colleague who you could ask for ideas about?  Twitter is that colleague!  You can crowd source information by searching hashtags like #choiceboards, #hacklearning, #edtech, #educhat 

A few people I'd recommend you follow:

@goldedullc

@classtechtips

@jmattmiller

@jakemillertech

@hollyclarkedu

5.  Listen In-  There are so many great educational podcasts out there.  One I keep coming back to is Educational Duct Tape.  Jake Miller talks in each episode with different guests and they tackle a real world problem and how they can address the issue- hence the duct tape reference.  I enjoy that you feel like you get to know Jake and his guests with the icebreaker he always plays and the informal conversation at the beginning of each episode.  The topic of episode 46 is about building rapport with students.  This is something all teachers strive to build throughout the school year.  Who doesn't need some fresh new ideas to build rapport.  Be sure to tune in!    

Episode 46: Building Raport




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making Connections and Finding My Why

Clarity and Engagement Key to Successful Communication

2021-2022 Keep, Lose or Try