Transformational Change Through Google Coach Program



Big announcement!! I just found out I am officially an Google Certified Coach!  Getting started with tech coaching has been a dream of mine for awhile.  In this blog, you will be following along in my journey as a librarian and tech coach.  Come along with me as I navigate how to balance running a high school library and support my campus with impactful technology integration.  It is new waters for me and I'm excited about the challenge ahead.

During the pandemic, my perspective on technology integration changed as the reality of one to one devices and virtual learning set in.  I saw the need for more teacher support in navigating the sea of technology tools and options.  In the summer of 2020 I heard about the Google Certified Coaching program.  I had just applied to be a Google Trainer and I knew from completing that certification program I wanted more of what Google had to offer.  The Google Trainer Program prepared me to provide effective and personalized individual and group training for my staff on technology integration.  The Google Coach Program equipped me to work individually as a technology coach to provide one to one support for my teachers using a 5 Step Model. If you have already completed Google Level One and Two certification, I highly recommend you investigate the Trainer or Coach certification.  Each has a different purpose which I'll explain more in a bit.  Both will surely push you to grow as a technology innovator, leader and advocate for teachers.  

I had two very rich opportunities for my own personal growth this past school year.  First, I was empowered by my principal to lead Tech Tuesday trainings every week during the pandemic.  This consisted of 30 minute weekly trainings for small collaborative learning communities including all teaching staff.  Second, I had a chance to work with our secondary curriculum writing team for math, science, social studies and ELA to provide training and support on technology integration.  For this, I rotated through each of the content area curriculum writing meetings working to provide custom training relevant to each department.  In both settings, I saw a variety of teachers at all levels of technology use seeking out individualized support.  This is where the Google Coach curriculum came in to play.   


How do we move from being comfortable with technology to really transforming teaching and learning?  That is the focus of this year's Tech Tuesday sessions.  I will be drawing from the Google Coaching curriculum and certification program as well as the Google PD sessions developed by Future Design School for Google Trainers to really tailor our technology integration plan to our campus goals and vision.  


The Gripe Jam © Copyright 2016 

Jennie Magiera, Courageous Edventures, Corwin Press, 2016

We started with a Gripe Jam/ Goal Jam.  In this activity teachers list out as many struggles they are facing as they can think of on post in notes. We did this in Jamboard using the sticky notes feature.  While teachers are brainstorming, I provided prompts for them to think about such as:  

  • You're teaching a lesson and...
  • You notice a group of students that...
  • Your lesson didn't go as expected...
  • You see your students' work and...
Teachers listed as many struggles they might face in those situations and any others they could think of.  We took our time working through this activity.  I assured the teachers that this was a no judgement zone.  We ALL struggle.  And each of us struggles in different areas.  I also let them know that the next time we meet we will be working collaboratively to find solutions to the issues we struggle with.  Also I let our staff know that I will be utilizing the information we generate during our sessions to shape what and how I provide future training sessions on Tech Tuesday.  I love that it all works together so well.  


Another key component for me this school year is working closely with our Collaborative Learning Leader (CLL).  Each district has different acronyms for this position, you can think of her as an instructional coach.  Ms. Torres is amazing at what she does and I always learn something new from her.  She will be focusing on teaching strategies and pedagogy and my role will be technology integration and support.  Each week I participate in her training sessions.  She is my coach that I bounce ideas around with.    

Still curious about Google Trainer vs. Google Coach?  A trainer provides group training sessions that can stand alone.  You may build on your trainings, but think of it more like training on how to use a tool/ strategy.  A coach provides on going individualized support using a 5 step model.  You identify an area the teacher is struggling with.  Next, you investigate possible strategies to resolve the struggle (such as the Gripe Jam activity and collaboratively working to find solutions).  Then you select a strategy to try and work through how to make it success.  The teacher implements the strategy and then they reflect with the coach on how it went and whether they want to try a different strategy.  The cycle continues back to investigating, selecting and implementing until the teacher feels that they have successfully resolved the issue they were struggling with.

Google Coach Curriculum



I'm looking forward to next week's Tech Tuesday session when we will start collaboratively problem solving.  How are you driving forward transformational change in your school community?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clarity and Engagement Key to Successful Communication

Making Connections and Finding My Why

Building Engagement During the Pandemic